fot

Re: [Fot] TR6 Injection Fuel Pump

To: "'Peter Vucinic'" <pvucinic@netspace.net.au>, "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR6 Injection Fuel Pump
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:44:57 -0500
I don't have fuel injection on a TR6 race car but I do have a TR5 with Lucas
fuel injection.  I recently installed the Bosch pump and filter kit, which I
got from Malcolm Jones at Prestige Injection in the UK, on the car.  I also
modified the fuel tank for outlets on both sides and separate return ports
on the top.  The kit included a new outlet fitting to replace the original
to allow for adequate fuel flow into the pump.  In addition I rewired the
pump adding a fused fuel pump relay and heavier wiring.  The original pump
drew about 5.6 amps and had a voltage drop of 2.8 volts to the pump.  The
new pump draws 9.5 amps with only a 0.75 volt drop at the pump with the
rewiring.  If you need the numbers of the pump and filter I'm sure I have
them somewhere or can get them for you.  The TR6 fuel tank was modified on
the PI cars to overcome some of the problems with the TR5 tank but I don't
know if that tank was used in the carbureted TR6 cars.

I'm currently running 103 PSI at the metering unit but will be increasing
that to about 110 as I am having some intermittent problems and also am not
sure of the accuracy of my fuel pressure gauge.  The 103 could be marginal
and may even be lower if my gauge reads 2% or 3% high, which is typical
standard gauge accuracy.

Tim Murphy