fot

Re: [Fot] Sir Stirling

To: BillDentin@aol.com, FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Sir Stirling
From: Irv Korey <emanteno@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 11:24:12 -0600
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:21 AM, <BillDentin@aol.com> wrote:

But what I remember best is a Chicago Historic Races event at ROAD AMERICA
> when there was

an ASTON MARTIN/FERRARI CHALLENGE.  ASTON MARTIN and FERRARI both sent a
> gaggle of their museum
> pieces over here along with world class drivers (including Sir Sterling,
> who I
> think drove the DB2).  I was in my TR3.  I can't remember how many times he
> lapped me, but I sure remember how it happened each time.  My car would be
> at
> top speed.  I'd see this little green dot in my rear view mirror.  I'd get
> ready.  There is always a lot of me hanging out of my TR3, and I'd point my
> desire to be passed driver's left.  In the blink of an eye he'd go by in a
> flash like I was standing still.  The first time I was tempted to get out
> see if perhaps I'd stopped.  But after the pass there was always a big wave
> from Sir Sterling.  He was a Class Act and very sensitive to us amateur
> vintage racers.  That was a very big deal for me, and a fond memory.

That very race was my first as a corner worker. I remember that Aston very
well from my vantage point at Corner 1 (back when we flagged from drivers'
right in Corner 1). Every time he went by, he waved and smiled to the
workers. What a wonderful memory.

Irv
\
fot@autox.team.net