fot

Re: [Fot] Sir Stirling

To: kaskas@cox.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Sir Stirling
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:21:21 EST
In a message dated 03/08/2010 10:33:03 PM Central Standard Time,
kaskas@cox.net writes:

> I first met Sir Sterling at the old Riverside motel, the Caravan.  He was
> just finished registering and I was just starting and we struck up a
> conversation,  he spent twenty minutes with me just talking about British
>cars
> and was so charming, I could hardly believe it. He was driving an Aston
> Marti and was in a big slide into turn 8 with the brake lights on and in
> complete control ( or I thought so )  great driver. I hope he sees another
>twenty
> years, nice man and a great driver.

Kas...

The chance that I might end up in the same race as Sir Sterling Moss
borders on unthinkable, but in fact I've raced in the same race sessions with
him
at two events at ROAD AMERICA and one at BLACKHAWK FARMS (of all places).
Ray Irwin hired him as the Grand Marshall of the first Blackhawk Vintage
Classic.  I stood next to him at several Driver's Meetings, where he was very
accessible, and made you feel like...hey!  We're all racers together here.
'Charming' is a good choice of words.  He had clear concerns about the
equipment and talent disparity in vintage racing, and how it should be dealt
with.
In particular he did not like seeing cars with slicks on the track at the
same time as cars with treaded tires.  But what I remember best is a Chicago
Historic Races event at ROAD AMERICA when there was an ASTON MARTIN/FERRARI
CHALLENGE.  ASTON MARTIN and FERRARI both sent a gaggle of their museum
pieces over here along with world class drivers (including Sir Sterling, who I
think drove the DB2).  I was in my TR3.  I can't remember how many times he
lapped me, but I sure remember how it happened each time.  My car would be at
top speed.  I'd see this little green dot in my rear view mirror.  I'd get
ready.  There is always a lot of me hanging out of my TR3, and I'd point my
desire to be passed driver's left.  In the blink of an eye he'd go by in a
flash like I was standing still.  The first time I was tempted to get out to
see if perhaps I'd stopped.  But after the pass there was always a big wave
from Sir Sterling.  He was a Class Act and very sensitive to us amateur
vintage racers.  That was a very big deal for me, and a fond memory.

Bill Dentinger
\
fot@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html