fot

[Fot] our new Spitfire racer

To: FoT Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>, "Greg \"Lunker\" Hilyer"
Subject: [Fot] our new Spitfire racer
From: Bobby Whitehead <igofaster@att.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 08:15:39 -0700 (PDT)
I recently purchased a 1965 Spitfire from "Mac" McArthur in Huntington Beach
California. Mac raced the spitwad for a few seasons with VARA. I was fortunate
enough to receive the SCCA log book dating the car back to 1973 events. It was
championed by Darwin Fontenot from 05-23-1973 through 09-04-1976. There is a 20
year gap in the log book when it shows Jeff Fontenot racing the car in the
Polar Prix February 1997 and the Fiesta Carrera in July 1998. There is a March
Madness and Blue Bonnet Sprint dated without the years, only the dates 04-12-??
 On 02-13-98 SW division Houston SCCA "El Nino" event. There is also a March
Madhatter 03-14-98 which appears to be the last event with a Fontenot family
member.
There is another log book International Conference of Sports Car Clubs. A
Robert Hodge had two events 09-29-2007 and 08-03-2008.
Glad to have some evidence of the past life. I'm in the process of sorting out
the wiring, there's no fuse buss in the car. Have some new Painless Wiring
stuff coming. Bought a new AMB transponder, new Holley Red fuel pump, and I
found a new Safequip quick release on the 'bay I like versus the Simpson latch
system that came with the car. I went with George Curl wednesday up to Eagles
Canyon for a few hours to see if I could log some laps while he sorted out his
fresh MGB rebuild when I re-adjusted the head and valves (fresh head) when I
noticed one of the valve springs gave way.
Hope to have the little Spitwad sorted out for Hallet in a few weeks. Thought
some of you might like to know the story behind my bright idea to own 2 racer
Triumphs, and Barbra's 1971 TR6 which gets some long needed seat rebuilds and
finish up on the interior.
All the best,
Bobby Whitehead
1970 GT6 DP