fot

Re: [Fot] TR6 Aluminum Heads

To: BillDentin@aol.com, rjl6n@cstone.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR6 Aluminum Heads
From: Kas Kastner <kaskas@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:35:36 -0700
Yes, Bill, back in the sixties, I asked the factory foundry to scrub the cores
of the TR-4 head and make me about a dozen special heads that had aprox.13 to 1
compression before any modifications were completed. The heads were passed
around to the hot competitors at that time and of course some were in engines
in cars I was passing on also.  The head was indeed thicker at the gasket
surface and helped a lot with keeping things together.  They were impossible to
identify from the outside although the edge on the spark plug side was very
thin. If anyone has one, treasure it.
---- BillDentin@aol.com wrote:

=============
In a message dated 04/20/2010 12:07:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
rjl6n@cstone.net writes:

> The serious engine builders like them because it is
> a lot easier to grind the chambers to improve the
> flow.

I'm sure that's so, but it can bite you in the foot too.  The head I have I
bought from Darryl Uprichards (sp?) in the UK many years ago when someone
had made a couple dozen (a guess).  Darryl had two left when I ordered mine,
and he ruined one of them prepping mine.  I believe him because he shipped
me a piece of the ruined one along with the good one.  That 'woops' had to be
a bitter pill for Darryl at the time as they were rare.  Subsequently
someone made a whole bunch of them.

Someone told me that in the glory days, there were a limited number of
special TRIUMPH heads cast with a thicker base, lending itself to shaving
options.  Maybe that's sour grapes by people who got passed.  I've never seen
one.
 If that's a true story, I have to assume KAS has seen them...and up close.

Bill Dentinger