fot

Re: [Fot] TR4A Stripped Threads in Block

To: "M&M Hado" <mdhado@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4A Stripped Threads in Block
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 16:20:08 -1000
I think I'd try a bottoming tap first. You'd have to make a super long one,
but that's not too hard. Maybe drop a thin pilot in and drill a little deeper.
The pilot would keep the drill from thinning out the existing threads. I have
no idea how close to breakthrough they took these holes at the factory, but I
bet there's some kind of margin, and I'm not sure what the problem would be
with breaking through anyway. If you could pick up a half inch of thread room
you'd be in pretty good shape. Perhaps if you DID drill through you could
helicoil from the inside. Or just get a good block and have at it.