fot

Re: [Fot] A-Type Overdrive Slipping and Coil Bind

To: "Ed Woods" <fogbro1@comcast.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] A-Type Overdrive Slipping and Coil Bind
From: "M&M Hado" <mdhado@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 20:46:10 -0500
Ed,

That's a great thought and Randall had also suggested the possibility of
coil binding and I had not considered that.  I have a spare unit and
measured the distance between the seating surfaces of the springs and it's
about 3 1/32" on the inner land (for the shorter springs) and the outer is
about 3.5".  Also, when the OD is engaged, this distance is reduced by 1/16"
to 3/32" depending on the wear of the clutch.

I then measured the length of the springs when they are coil bound and the
long ones are around 2 15/16" on average and the short ones are 2.5".  Do
the math and you can see that if the longer springs are used where the short
ones should be, they will be right at the binding point when the OD is
engaged.  The compressed spring absolute minimum length is 2 15/16" and the
space to put it in is the same, or slightly less!

Most of the OD's I've done have about the same size springs +/- 1/8" so I
simply put the slightly shorter ones on the inner lands, thinking there is
plenty of space.  Clearly there is the possibility that they will bind.

Thanks, again, for your suggestions and I'll let you know how it goes after
I take this apart for the third time.  Lessen learned.

Mike