fot

[Fot] CVAR at ECR part 2/2

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] CVAR at ECR part 2/2
From: "Greg & Alison Blake" <ablake2@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 07:53:02 -0500
Part 2/2

Back to #14.  Like I said it did not sound good but I did not get a good
opportunity to hear it at full tilt.  There was about 10 911s running group
7 this weekend and it is difficult to hear a TR motor over those screamers.
In the second group 7 race Dad was again falling back and the car did not
look fast, the stars aligned and I heard the motor at the end of one of the
straights and noticed what Dad was complaining about, it sounded terrible.
When he got back to our pit, it was late and the kegs were already tapped.
We were pretty thirsty so the car could wait.  We hooked up with the rest of
the FOT at the kegs and ran into Ed & Josh Barnard.  They had been at corner
10 all day.  Ed said #14 sounded off.  After a few trips to the keg we
decided it was time to do some diagnostics, the timing of that decision had
nothing to do with the rum cake or floating kegs.

We figured out pretty quick that #14 had been running on three cylinders all
day.  We eliminated electrical and a compression test yielded good results.
Fuel.well #4 was firing just fine.  So Ed broke out the carb cleaner to no
avail, could not find the leak.  We were all a bit baffled at this point and
convinced ourselves that there must be something blocking the intake runner
to #3.  We decided since I was not running in the morning we would have time
to pull the carbs in the morning.  Once removed, everything looked clear.
Carbs went back on.  As we were tightening the nuts on the carbs, we noticed
that one of the intake manifold split washers was not compressed.  Sure
enough a wrench revealed that the nut was finger tight.  Finally got it.  We
went through all manifold nuts.  She fired up and sounded great.  A silly
intake leak.  We then were able to time it better since it was now running A
LOT smoother and the timing mark was not jumping around.  We also set the
mixture a little richer after looking at the plugs.  What a difference.
This car has never sounded this good.  Dad took 11 seconds off his best time
from Sat in the first Sunday race.  He was going to grid for the second race
and a grose jet failed with no spares, the car went on the trailer.  What a
great weekend.  We all had a blast.

Greg
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com