fot

[Fot] Peyote

To: fot Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Peyote
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 09:44:31 -0700
Incidentally, Peyote was amazing this weekend at the Columbia River Challenge.
What a car. The race was rather sparsely attended, 130 cars I think, which
makes NO sense, it's a great event with so much track time people actually
bail on the last race. SOVREN has settled into what seems like a nice easy
relationship with the All British Field Meet, enhancing both events.

I'm tempting the gods by bragging about how flawlessly Peyote runs now that
Tony Garmey and his Horizon Racing guys take care of it, but it simply does. I
haven't had so much as a hiccup all year. Plus it's as pretty as it's ever
going to get. Somehow, with no change to the engine, tires, suspension and a
little more weight it's faster. I was turning high to mid 1.29's consistently.
That's about two seconds a lap faster than my previous record. Two seconds!! I
have no idea how this happened. Like most things with Peyote it's a little
mysterious. But there's really no doubt in my mind that having it maintained
by a guy with the high standards Tony has is the real key. When I get in the
car I know it's ready (though I still have to check some things, just to
satisfy my mental tics).

Since none of the really fast cars showed up in group one, and Cameron Healy's
Pooper is still laid up after a wreck, I switched to the big bore group. Lots
of guys to play with there--mustangs, XKEs and corvettes, a Lola T70, bunch of
911's and BMWs, and in the last two races, Cameron Healy's 908 and a McLaren.

I started in the back since I didn't have a time with the group--qualified in
smallbore--and passed my way up to tenth. In the next race I had a long, very
fun battle with a Javelin and two 911s that held me up a while, but I finally
got loose and chased down the Jag. Almost had him in the last lap, but we came
up to lap Charlie who was struggling with problems in his TR6 and I chose the
wrong side to try to pass on and lost a step. Still almost got him, but he
would have blown by me in the back straight anyway.

In the fourth race I gridded fifth and got by the Jag in the run to the
chicane and pulled out a nice lead. Got chased down by Cameron in his 908 who
was starting in the back somewhere and the T70 who was also back there, so I
finished fifth. The last race was uneventful, gridded fourth, got to watch
Cameron's beautiful car for a little while, and then just drove clean laps,
staying just ahead of a 911 that was going nutz trying to catch me. I had an
extra second or so in the bag but he didn't know that. Not nice to tease the
Porsches... but it's fun.

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html