fot

Re: [Fot] Quaife question

To: Jim Gray <toodamnfunky@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Quaife question
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 09:49:52 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I've been running a Quaife in my autox-only TR6 for 10 years. I have
fairly stiff springs, and a rear bar. To get the car to rotate
effectively, you need to run the rear bar at pretty much the stiffest
settings.

With the Quaife, it is somewhat easy to spin the inside wheel. This is
frustrating to me as a driver as I tend to be a little more agressive with
my inputs with the predictable reward of wheel spin. Listen to the engine
note in any of the vidZ I've posted to U-tooob, you can hear the motor
unload. In fact, I get queries on a monthly basis from other autocrossers
asking if my cluth is slipping. Nope - it's the Quaife.

That said, my input to your question is "put the thing in and drive it."
At the very least you'll wind up with a data point on mods for the future.
For autocross, pretty much anything is better than an open diff. unless
you are smoother than glass with your driving style.

But the Quaife is good for a limited slip and much better than an open
diff on the one hand an much better than a locker in the other hand.

regards,
rml
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
2010 NER Solo Chair                            |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive