fot

Re: [Fot] Crank--Rear Main / Scroll

To: Dan Cronin <adcronin@mi.rr.com>, Friends of Triumph Triumph
Subject: Re: [Fot] Crank--Rear Main / Scroll
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 00:55:21 -0500
For the aftermarket lip seal like is sold by Moss, British Parts
Northwest, and BFE, the correct crank diameter is 2.525".  Despite
explicit instruction to use that dimension, my Crower crank was
turned to 2.500", as the seal instructions indicate it should be
(incorrectly).  I've managed to make it seal by using a very sharp
knife to cut a little bit off of the edge of the seal.  Some rebuilds
that works better than others.  I also shorten the spring to a bit
under 8" so there's a fair amount of spring pressure on the seal.

The seal the Christian Marx developed, marketed in the USA by Joe
Alexander is for stock cranks that have the scroll seal.

- Tony Drews