fot

Re: [Fot] Crank--Rear Main / Scroll

To: "Alexandre Camoletti" <ac@camoletti.ch>,<fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Crank--Rear Main / Scroll
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 10:44:14 -0500
The instructions that come with the seal call for the crank to be
ground to 2.500".  In many engine builds using this dimension, Jack
and I fought leaking rear seals.  Jack eventually discovered that if
he had the crank turned to 2.525" rather than 2.500" that he had much
better luck in getting the rear seal to work properly.  He also
shortened the spring supplied with the kit to 8".

Prior to using the larger crank diameter, his fix was to cut a little
off of one edge of the seal.  This is a very inexact fix, and the
larger crank diameter worked much better for us.

Since my crank is ground to the smaller diameter, I don't have much
recent experience with the 2.525" diameter.  We never had a problem
with the seal "grooving" the crank.

I've had one rebuild out of probably 4 where I got the rear main to
seal properly.  I hope for the best every year.

Jack wrote up a series of engine building tips, and I've made it
available to everyone here:
http://www.tonydrews.com/uncle_jacks_engine_building_tips.htm
The larger crank diameter is one of the tips.

- Tony Drews

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html