fot

Re: [Fot] engine break-in

To: <igofaster@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] engine break-in
From: john preston <jpflyingsquirrel@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 20:43:05 -0400
Bobby,
 I have always used Rotella to break in an engine...high compression full race
and regular street engines.  Rotella has a higher Zinc and Magnesium content
that helps to bed in bearing surfaces gradually during the initial warm
up....how and why I do not know..gnomes I guess.  I ran each engine at idle or
slightly elevated until warm then ran it up the tach midway...NO RELINE.  Then
swapped it our for Valvoline or Mobile full race.  Then run very easy on the
first few laps, and push it, but not red line on the last.  Then go great guns
on the next session.  It has worked so far.  There is a dyno shop about 5 mins
from my house and they will NOT run a new engine on the dyno without Rotella.
Good luck,
John  P

> From: jaboruch@netzero.net
> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 23:11:24 +0000
> To: igofaster@att.net
> CC: fot@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Fot] engine break-in
>
> Bobby, with my TR3, I first run it in, in the garage, at a high idle
> (2000-2500rpms) with Valvoline racing oil for about 20 minutes.  Then I
change
> the oil and filter to a break-in oil like Joe Gibbs or Brad Penn.  I run
that
> for the whole weekend, but an SCCA weekend will not have as much track time
as
> what you described.  I will slowly build up the RPMs during my first track
> session up to my usual redline by the end of the session.  I am confident
that
> the parts are all going to play nicely together and if there was a problem
it
> would manifest itself quickly.   Some have been surprised at how fast I run
it
> to speed, but so far have not had a problem.
>
> The times I have watched my machine shop run new engines on the dyno they
do
> about the same.  They warm it up on the dyno, do some mild pulls to get the
> temps up then they do WOT pulls to the redline.  How is that any better
than
> running it in on the track in the first session?  Joe(B)

should