fot

[Fot] TR3s and the Southwick conversion

To: Fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] TR3s and the Southwick conversion
From: davehogye <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 01:50:50 +0000 (UTC)
Hello all,
I recently received a housing back from Southwick and have come up with a
question regarding this conversion and TR3s specifically. I think that Bob
sets the conversion to the stock TR3 length. I'm wondering if it's worth
keeping some extra length on the axle tubes for the TR3s. There is an issue
with where the weld is for the Ford flange and the U bolts. The weld has to be
ground to fit the bolts. Wouldn't it be worth leaving a little more length on
the axle tubes? Then no grinding of the weld would be needed. There really
isn't that much weld on there. I think that as little as 1/8" added on each
side would alleviate any grinding or most of it, but 1/4" would be great. It
looks like Southwick cuts at least 1/4" off before the old flange. Perhaps we
could leave that much on. I've read the related archives and found that there
have been TR3s with TR4 axle under them. So, fender clearance shouldn't be an
issue. Any thoughts or comments on this would be nice, although it's a little
late for me, others may benefit from the info. Obviously, Southwick would make
the change between themselves and Moser.
Thanks,
Dave H.
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com