fot

Re: [Fot] Oversize lifter bore

To: 'Bill Babcock' <billb@bnj.com>, Joe Curry <spitlist@cox.net>,
Subject: Re: [Fot] Oversize lifter bore
From: Kas Kastner <kaskas@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 17:01:53 -0800
I remember well the tiny lifter in the first Spitfire engines.  I had to deal
with it, successfully I might add.

---- Joe Curry <spitlist@cox.net> wrote:
I think I said the same thing you did Kas.  The lifter size is directly
related to the lift of the cam lobe.  Yes, cam manufacturers ask about the
lifter size so they know how far they can go with the cam development.  But
as with the early 1147 engine, there are other work-arounds.  Triumph
increased the diameter of the lifter in order to go with a more radical cam
design.  Early engines have to have the lifter channels bored out to accept
the later (larger) lifters.  The Mk1 lifters were 11/16" and when the Mk2
came out with the improved cam, Triumph increased the size to 13/16".

Maybe my wording was not clear.

Joe