fot

[Fot] Oversize lifter bore

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Oversize lifter bore
From: George Harmuth <harmug@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 15:58:41 -0500
I have a spare racing engine, 1296, that broke two cams. I thought the
first one was a bad cam blank but when the second one broke in the same
spot, cylinder #3 intake, after 5 hours run time, we took a closer look at
the block. It appears that there's excessive wear in the block (hole is out
of round) and the (new) lifter is cocking enough to put excessive side

I don't have the exact measurements here, the mechanic does, but we were
discussing options. He was wondering if a sleeve could be used to get the
bore back in spec. I was wondering if anyone here has seen this and has
another solution. Is it possible to bore it out and use a larger lifter
from another series engine? Custom lifters?

Thanks in advance

mike

63 Spitfire
HP and HRG1