fot

Re: [Fot] TR6 Shim Packs

To: "Dan Cronin" <adcronin@mi.rr.com>, "FOT List" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR6 Shim Packs
From: "Richard Good" <goodparts@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 11:25:38 -0500
Dan,

I would not trust any general rule for number of shims.  For initial
setting, sit the frame on jack stands and shim it till it is level.  Then
with the spring out, position the suspension at your best guess of normal
ride height.  You can calculate from frame to ground clearance or spindle to
fender height or whatever reference you have.  Then shim the suspension to
get the desired camber angle measured on the face of the hub.  Harbor
freight sells a magnetic, digital angle gauge for $30 that works nicely.

I figured out the camber change per shim a while ago.  If I remember
correctly both lower brackets had to move about 3/16" to change one degree.
That is three shims on each bracket.  Or 4 on one and 2 on the other if you
need to change castor.  So I guess you could say a total of 6 shims for one
degree or 1/6 degree per shim.

Regards,
Richard Good
Good Parts