fot

[Fot] Ballasted ignitions

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Ballasted ignitions
From: "Kramer, Robert" <RKramer@rdoequipment.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:24:48 -0500
I'm hoping the knowledgeable folks on this list can help me figure out a
problem on our Lemon's TR6. We built the car out of a pile of scrap so we have
pretty basic stock stuff. We are running a stock distributor, points,
condenser, new cap, new upgraded wires, stock type non ballasted coil. We made
up a simple wiring harness and I felt that it was important to ballast the
ignition circuit, so I used a Mallory resistor in line to the coil. The engine
runs extremely well up to about 5 grand and then starts spitting and coughing.
We have tried various timing settings yet we can't get it to run as well as my
stock TR6 in the high ranges. There is a chance that the cam isn't timed right
as we didn't touch that part of the engine. We have plenty of fuel pressure
too. Could the ballast be causing this malady? I use the same setup in my
racecar, but with a much better coil and a Mallory distributor.

Bob Kramer
Texas Rental Manager
RDO Equipment Company
16415 N. IH 35  Pflugerville, TX 78660