fot

[Fot] ChumpCar Charlotte Race Report

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] ChumpCar Charlotte Race Report
From: Jamie Palmer <tr6driver@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 08:30:28 -0700 (PDT)
Well...our race wasn't quite as successful as the LeMons crew
(congratulations,
guys!)...

Day started out very well with Mr. Wayne
Andrews showing a LOT of people up!
Lost the throttle linkage at one point
but we got that fixed and Wayne set some
fast times in the wet.

Kevin
followed and cut some really consistent laps, during his run the whole
field
was stopped for a red flag to get a talking to as $2,000 worth of barriers
had already been trashed. Not Kevin!

Kevin turned it over to Jack, who
proceeded to lay down some more good times. We
gradually climbed into the top
ten and had just gotten into 6th place (of 45
cars) when, on his pit in
lap...there was an off-course excursion.

About 2-1/2 hours later, we had
replaced the bent steering rack (Jack and Joe
had to go strip it off of one
if Jack's cars) and bent wheel, Kevin aligned it
by eye and I went out.
Started out very slow, but gradually gained confidence in the car and started
lowering lap times. We had climbed back to 33rd when...

The throttle stuck on
the floor.

Well...I'm fine. Lacey, on the other hand, is not.

Pretty much
everything in front of the firewall other than the engine and maybe
the
brakes are toast. I also managed to take out the left rear fender and wheel
as I was going fast enough when I hit that the left rear also hit the
guardrail.

We are going to explore our options, including possibly
transferring everything
to a donor TR6 or sectioning the frame.  Our next
scheduled race is VIR July
30-31. We have some thinking and a LOT of work to
do if we are going to make
that event...

I'm very thankful that the car we
built and the safety precautions all worked.
I'm very sad that Tim and Joe,
who were there all day and worked very hard
didn't even get to race. Assuming
we make VIR, they'll be first up.

Jamie Palmer
Squadron Leader, RiffRAF