fot

[Fot] Fw: 1.3 lb Kronospark MiKroh Battery

To: FOT <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Fw: 1.3 lb Kronospark MiKroh Battery
From: Gary Schneider <garygret@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 12:13:13 -0700 (PDT)
I have no personal experience but for work I keep up on battery technology and
it seems like a well-thought-out design. The Kronospark guy Hal Glenn has been
member of our local Madison club for years and is very knowledgeable on the
chemistry. He designed and builds the batteries. I've seen the one he runs in
his street car, a modified 350Z. Professional-looking package, it is only 1
ampere-hour but still has the surge current to start the car. No technology
touches lead-acid for surge current. For a race car with an
alternator/generator
it sounds good. (My car is a loss system and 1 AH wouldn't get me through a
race.) The battery is rated for 10 seconds cranking at 900A which is the same
as
30 seconds at a more realistic 300A - that could be marginal for a reluctant
Brit on a cold damp morning. It  does require some attention: fully discharge
it
even once and it's toast, and it must be trickle charged between races. The
website is honest about all that.

It's new enough I doubt there is much actual history on longevity, but
lead-acid
is well-known mature technology. An FAQ refers to 300 starting cycles typically
and the spec sheet says 150 cycles at 200A/5sec which is a pretty long
discharge. With that small a body it obviously doesn't have the mass of lead
and
acid of a normal package, but those numbers are pretty realistic from an
electrical engineering viewpoint. I saw nothing on the website that sounded
like
BS and I have a pretty well-developed BS-o-meter.

NFI, just a club member I know is a sharp cookie
Gary Schneider