fot

Re: [Fot] Ignition improvements on a TR6

To: "'*Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Ignition improvements on a TR6
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 16:58:15 -0700
> More like HAD a high failure rate. Mostly because, like
> pertronics, they had
> no steering diodes to prevent damage from reversed polarity
> connection.

Could be, but the problem was certainly not only lack of a diode.  In fact,
the unit I took apart after MSD pronounced it unrepairable HAD a big diode
in series with the hot lead.  And since it failed while I was running down
the road, I seriously doubt there was any reversed polarity event.

But I will say that it was nice of the MSD tech to tell me the ratings of
the charred components.  With a little creative wiring around the burned
section of the board, and a 5 watt resistor in place of the original 2 watt,
I was able to resuscitate the unit and it worked for several more years.

-- Randall
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html