fot

Re: [Fot] Colortune spark plugs

To: fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Colortune spark plugs
From: Duncan Charlton <duncan.charlton54@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 07:37:45 -0500
I had gone to a local guy who advertises his prowess in working on British
cars, in hopes that he might have a selection of SU needles (now, exactly how
many years has it been since a production car was sold in the US with SU's?).
Plus he has a British accent = knowledge about British cars, right?

He insisted on quizzing me about how I knew that the mixture was rich, so at
first I thought perhaps he knew his stuff, but when he insisted that the ONLY
way to know if an engine was running rich was to use Colortune, I tuned HIM
out and vowed never to return.  I had a disturbing mental vision of my darling
wife strapped to the left front fender watching for combustion color while I
did full-throttle runs to redline.

Duncan
1952 Morgan Plus 4 #6 red

On Jun 29, 2011, at 11:57 PM, Bill Babcock wrote:

> they're kind of a bad joke, surprised they're still around. I tried them in
> the late 70s to no particular benefit. Problem is they're only to be used
> around idle, and setting the mixture at idle is the least difficult and
> smallest value part of tuning.
>
> On Jun 29, 2011, at 5:23 PM, sherry robyn wrote:
>
>> Is anybody using Colortune spark plugs to any advantage?  Jim in Folsom,
CA