fot

Re: [Fot] Freeing stuck pistons

To: "Greg \"Lunker\" Hilyer" <Lunkercars@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Freeing stuck pistons
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 22:04:53 -0700
Yep, I wasn't kidding. I raced a '76 Yamaha 360 at the 1977 Riverside Grand
Prix. Stuck it right away in practice so I didn't even know which way the
course went (1/3 road race, 1/3 flat track, 1/3 motocross). Beat the piston
out of the cylinder with a chunk of wood and a hammer. Sanded the seize marks
off the piston, cleaned the aluminum out of the barrel with battery acid,
freed up the ring, went two sizes bigger on the main jet and dumped a little
extra oil in the gas. Finished third, in part because I didn't know where a
scary dropoff was and went off it full throttle and lived. figured if if
worked the first time it would work a second. Passed dozens of people coming
into that drop. Sometimes ignorance is fast.

On Jun 29, 2011, at 6:50 PM, Greg Lunker Hilyer wrote:

> Thanks for jarring the memory...
> '43 Ford military jeep. Sold it to a friend - stuck engine and all. A couple
days later he had it on a lift with the pan off and a long 2"x4" on a bottle
jack. Jacked that piston enough to push the Jeep close to the ceiling. So he
chained it down and jacked it up some more. About the same time as the frame
started to bend I finally started telling him not to kill the poor little
thing. Got him to put it on the ground and a couple whacks with a wood block
and BFH did what thousands of pounds of pressure would not.

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive