fot

Re: [Fot] Proceedure for checking rod bearing clearances

To: Glenn Franco <gaf3@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Proceedure for checking rod bearing clearances
From: Jerry Barr <jerrybarr@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 14:30:28 -0500
I assemble the bearing caps on the block then use a dial bore gage or inside
micrometer to determine the size and roundness of the bearing bore. Then
install the bearings and retorque the caps and check the inside diameter of
the bearings for size and roundness. Or just use plastigage.
On Aug 11, 2011, at 2:19 PM, Glenn Franco wrote:

> I have been using platigauge for years. Works great. Just built an engine
last month and have two in process right now.
> I check out of round of the journals with a digital mic, but bearing
clearances with platigauge on the mains and rods.
> Most of my engine builds have been street performance engines and I always
have my automotive machine shop grind and polish the crank.
> I'm old school and used to use an inside mike on the ID then check the
difference to the OD (PITA).
> Glenn
> On 8/11/2011 11:56 AM, toodamnfunky@comcast.net wrote:
>> Chris,
>>
>> I have the machinist that's doing the work check for round and determine
how to size the journals.

>> I would just like to have a method that I can use to back check the
machinst and/or check clearances