fot

Re: [Fot] Trailers and mileage

To: marty sukey <trmarty@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Trailers and mileage
From: Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 19:11:50 -0500
I have an enclosed 20' Vnose Worthington all-aluminum, which is great for all
the reasons of convenience mentioned to date.  I currently tow with a 2010 Ford
Expedition EL, and the previous tow vehicle was a 99 Suburban.  Two caveats -
going from an open to closed trailer, you are going to want to switch to a load
leveling/anti-sway hitch, unless you've got a monster tow vehicle.  Also, you
are going to find your gas mileage drops like a stone vs the open trailer.  My
Expedition, which gets 16+ mpg without a trailer, drops to 7-9 mpg with.  The
99 Suburban did the same.  Basically, you are towing a barn door, and the
v-nose does not make much difference.  I had a 20' Haulmark steel trailer until
it got stolen (happy day!) and the mileage was not much different from the
aluminum V-nose.  Its all air resistance.

With the Expedition and the load-leveling hitch, the rig comfortably cruises at
70-75 and the trailer does not alter the driving experience much, unlike the
99, which let you know it was being steered from the rear all the time, but
with an open trailer was pretty good.
So, I guess I'd take a hard look at your tow vehicle, so that you don't end up
be unhappy with that aspect.