fot

Re: [Fot] TR4 front brakes

To: "Jim Gray" <toodamnfunky@comcast.net>, "Friends of triumph"
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 front brakes
From: "William Dewar" <pcdelux@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 18:40:38 -0500
Hello Jim,

 TR4's and TR3's with the girling brake systems had residual pressure valves
in the front brake piping. It was there to limit the pad knockback and
resulting low initial brake pedal. It had limited success on street cars and
very little on racecars with wider tires and higher cornering loads. Also
due to corrosion and years of use most now either don't work at all or hold
back too much pressure. Best to eliminate it and go with the uprated front
spindles and hubs. Supposedly some TR4A's also had them,never saw any on
TR6's. It could cause fast pad and rotor wear. On TR4's it was mounted
inline on the 5way brake junction right front.

Bill DeWar
NJTA