fot

Re: [Fot] Valve Lash While Engine is Hot

To: Tylerpthompson@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Valve Lash While Engine is Hot
From: "Joe Boruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:37:15 GMT
Cc: fot@autox.team.net
Tyler, it was always my understanding that valve lash should be set while the
engine is hot.  You want the specified lash while the engine is running at
operating temperature and the closest way to get that is with a hot engine.

I think some of my earlier cams had lash of 14 and 16, but as the cams got
bigger the lash got bigger.  Yes with bigger clearances you lose some total
lift, but with bigger clearances the valve opens more suddenly and sometimes
engines respond the that.  Bigger lash is also harsher on the valve train as
the parts are moving faster when they come together. Trying different
clearances on a dyno would best determine what the engine wants.  Joe(B)