fot

Re: [Fot] Never be beaten by equipment

To: edwardbarnard@prodigy.net, rblake36@yahoo.com, fot@autox.team.net, yellow04@tr4racer.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Never be beaten by equipment
From: fubog1 <fubog1@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 11:20:27 -0400 (EDT)
 No doubt that the rear cylinder runs the hottest, but I have found that if
the cooling system, oil and water, are in good shape, and IF the RPM is kept
within reason, (touches wood), it's not a problem for us.
I don't do any more than progressively open up the steam holes for the little
banana ports in the head gasket, bigger towards the rear.
A lot of guys are running pretty high revs now and this becomes more of a
potential problem, and on some "other" buzzy engines I do add a provision for
flow in the rear.
As a related matter of interest, I had a scuffing issue recently, 3 out of 4.
The problem was that #1 was the worst, very heavy, metal transfer,
progressively less back to #4, which was near perfect! Exactly the opposite of
what would be expected. After going over the drivers excellent track notes,
and recalling our conversation about not getting water temp in it due to a
very cold weekend, we concluded that the pistons were up to temp as evidenced
by normal oil temps, but the liners were too cold.
It's a real balancing act with these things.
Then as Greg S pointed out, lugging can cause problems as well, both lack of
splash, and losing the oil wedge due to drop in main pressure.
Glen