fot

Re: [Fot] Reg Compliance - Your Feedback

To: John Hasty <jhhasty@gdhs.com>, Kas Kastner <kaskas@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Reg Compliance - Your Feedback
From: Jason Ostrowski <jason@multivintage.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 22:56:29 -0500
Cc: fot <fot@autox.team.net>
> From: John Hasty
>

> "Jason. Do you include 5 speed transmissions, 4 piston calipers, slotted &
> drilled discs, Weber carbs, 50 profile tires on 7 inch rims as regulation
> violations not to worry about?  Safety, reliability type transgressions are
> fine, but the other stuff is, in my opinion, beyond the sprit of the rules."

John,

No, that's perhaps why my car doesn't have any of that stuff. Key words,
WITHIN REASON. You should know by now that I fully promote the use of
Triumph parts and period correct parts. But I also wouldn't fault a guy for
looking for a reasonable fix to 3 blown transmissions in a season. And
quite frankly any organization that would require you to use sub-par
equipment simply to adhere to a 40 year old formula of "Fairness" seems to
be digging its own grave. Bud's point about being open with your
sanctioning body is important here. I think different cars require
different mods (even for vintage) and should be classed accordingly.
Otherwise, you are essentially requiring wasting $.
I think that certain case by case analysis of this issue is reasonable.
Most importantly, I don't like my Triumph friends being beaten by cars with
lots of brand new parts that are available "off the shelf" by certain
German and Japanese brands. We need to be able to have at least a limited
access to similar parts as cars we are racing against.  I'm not condoning
any V8 drop-ins here, yet I wholeheartedly support our TRIUMPH FRIENDs that
are developing various modern solutions to help with obvious difficulty in
trying to race safely in a 40+ year old car.

Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing