fot

Re: [Fot] Splitting a TR4 body in half when replacing sills and floors

To: Glenn Franco <gaf3@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Splitting a TR4 body in half when replacing sills and floors
From: "Tylerpthompson@yahoo.com" <Tylerpthompson@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:06:02 -0600
Cc: Friends of triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Thanks Glenn!

Jim Gray (another FOTer) lent me braces he built for the A to B pillar as well
as some lifting eyes.  In terms of the cross brace, where do you place that?
Setting the tub on its side makes a lot sense.  Great ideas.

I would enjoy seeing your pics!

Thx

Ty

Sent from my iPad
(Please excuse any errors or typos)

On Oct 29, 2012, at 2:41 PM, Glenn Franco <gaf3@charter.net> wrote:

> Tyler
> I have done many of these.
> I don't recommend splitting the body in half.
> Do one side at a time. Use a brace between the A and B Posts and Cross
brace.
> I pull the body with a chain fall or hoist and sit it on its side.
> I can send you photo's of the latest I'm restoring for a club member.
> It's a TR250 that received floors inner and outer rockers a full top deck
including trunk surround, battery tray and and R&R the left front corner.
> I had to make repair panels to tie in the new parts.
> Take LOTS of Measurements. Measure before you weld.
> Glenn
>
> On 10/29/2012 2:52 PM, Tylerpthompson@yahoo.com wrote:
>> I am working on a TR4 street car. It needs the front floor pans and inner
>> sills replaced.  In reading a restoration guide, it talked about splitting
the
>> car in half (front and back half)  putting the new floors and sills
together
>> on the refurbished frame, and then putting the two halves back together on
the
>> new frame.
>>
>> Here is the link.  See page 75/76

http://books.google.com/books?id=wzKwPkJMUM8C&pg=PA73&lpg=PA73&dq=sill+replac

ement+rotted+tr4&source=bl&ots=cZGCqluUgQ&sig=dj8utxsFSHgR0GakR0Wi-qxI5Sk&hl=

en&sa=X&ei=mOCNUNqFDqfbyQGAioDADg#v=onepage&q=sill%20replacement%20rotted%20t