fot

Re: [Fot] TR4 build questions

To: "'marty sukey'" <trmarty@hotmail.com>, "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 build questions
From: "Steve Yott" <tr4@wi.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 19:22:34 -0600
What I have found through past experience is that with a solid copper head
gasket you want the protrusion on the low side of spec and maybe down to
.002"  The reading you have is way too much for any of the current gaskets.
If I surface the top of the block, which is frequently needed I correct the
cylinder protrusion by taking off the required length from the seat of the
liners.  I made a setup on my lathe to make this a fairly easy process since
I do a lot of these builds.

As far as the crankshaft.... Any reputable crank grinder will as part of the
process remove the plugs, grind the crank, thoroughly clean and reinstall
new plugs!  If you find one that does not follow this process find a new
crankshaft grinder.  I have noticed a number of decent crank grinders
closing shop these days.  There are many reasons for this which are
understandable in today's economy and lack of engine rebuilds being
accomplished.  If you do find a good crank grinder spread the word and help
these folks out.  With the lack of work available and only being able to
charge about $250 for a grinding it is very hard to make money when their
machines cost around $50k or more.

Steve Yott