fot

[Fot] TR6 hot start problems

To: "'Triumph Friends of'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] TR6 hot start problems
From: "Greg & Alison Blake" <ablake2@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 09:31:57 -0600
I've got a starting problem with the TR6 I care for.  The car starts great
when cold but after a drive that gets the car up to temp I have an issue
with the restart.  The hot start problem only occurs if I let the car sit
for more than about 10 minutes.  Related things I have done to the car:

Rebuilt the original carbs - byass and temp compensators are locked out

New high torque starter

New battery

Rebuilt dist - problem persists with more or less advanced static timing.
Currently have it set to where I do not get any detonation at load

New radiator

Removed core plugs and flushed engine - it sat for about 20 years before I
got it

I've done lots of other work but I think that is all that would be
applicable to this particular problem.

The car runs right below the halfway mark on the temp gauge and I measured
that to be 175-180 F at the cap.

I've read that some of the Stromberg carbs have a problem of boiling the
fuel out of the floats in conditions like this.  I pulled the dash pots last
weekend when I had the hot start issue and did not see large amounts of fuel
pooling at the throttle disk.  How would I diagnosis this condition and what
are the solutions other than heat shield?  I'll try the coil next just on
the chance that it is getting hot and not working as efficiently as it
should when hot.  Other than that, I am out of ideas.

When I do get it to start after sitting about 10 minutes in cool weather, I
usually have to hold the throttle about half way to the floor to get it
going.  This is would leads me to believe it is carb related/too much fuel.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Greg