fot

Re: [Fot] TR6 hot start problems

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR6 hot start problems
From: <yellow04@tr4racer.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 08:35:19 -0500
The race car is a completely different story, Bill Dentinger's post
explained my take on that issue.

But in the street driving world, I guess I have been lucky. In all my years
of driving SU/Stromberg Triumphs on the street I never really had a hot
start problem.

I agree with Jim Norlin's experience, having your carbs 100% right seems to
be at least part of the solution.

I have built two modified TR4 street engines in the past several years. The
first one is my buddy's car, it has with a cam, some head work, a stock TR4A
exhaust manifold and belt driven fan. Mine has a bigger cam, even more head
work, a header and an electric fan. Both are running stock mechanical fuel
pumps and neither has a heat shield. Both got new HS6's direct from Burlen
in the UK. We routinely load up the cars with our wives and gear and try to
drive the wheels off. I can recall countless stop and go bathroom breaks and
gas stops in very hot weather that had me wondering if the cars would
restart, but they always fire right up.

I read somewhere long long ago (I am thinking it's in the owners manual)
that you are supposed to hold the throttle open about 1/3 open when cranking
a hot engine, when you do that the engine usually fires immediately.

It's nice to hear people having hot start issues in January, for the better
part of the past week I have been seeing single digits in the morning glance
of the thermometer!

Henry
yellow04@tr4racer.com