fot

Re: [Fot] Series 80 Koni adjustment

To: Jack Mc <LimeyV8@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Series 80 Koni adjustment
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:23:18 -0500 (EST)
Cc: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Hi,

Just to be clear, what Jack refers to is the fact that there are
significant bending loads that can occur from both the normal motion of
these telescopic shocks and supension bottoming that can occur because
most of the tube shock conversions eliminate the lower bump stop in some
manor, or at the very least change it. The point being that the SPRING
(actually the wheel rate) limits the total weight transfer... so, in
theory you can limit some of the bending load to the frame because of the
shock. Note also that where the shock mounts to the trailing arm, there is
an arcing motion, so this adds to the bending loads. So, if you can mount
the shock at the trailing arm and the frame with heims joints, you should
probably do so.

As a point of information, the Gp 44 TR6 used the stock shock location on
the trailing arm, albeit with considerable reinforcement and the top was
secured to the roll cage. That setup is rock-solid - so a telescoping
shock can be used. The key is where you mount it.

Also, not mentioned to this point is the fact that "we" really can't know
the condition of the frame in question and that would have considerable
bearing on whether the setup will work or not.

If this was my car, and I had no other options, I'd def. add "check rear
upper crossmember" to the pre-event check for every event as this setup
can result in failure in that area.

I'll also point out from experience that the trailing arms themselves are
prone to cracking either at the shock mount or between where the hub
mounts and the pivot points, so if you go really, really stiff on the
suspension, the trailing arms are likely to fail.

On the other hand, you can set up the suspension fairly soft like it came
from the factory... just don't chuck the car around or you'll bottom the
suspension all the time and I'll guarantee that stuff will break.

:-)

rml
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive