fot

Re: [Fot] Electric cars

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Electric cars
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 14:54:12 -0500
It takes as much energy to convert water to hydrogen (and oxygen) as you
get back when you burn it to get H20 back, minus those good old
efficiency loses.  In thermodynamics there is never a free lunch.
Storing hydrogen is one of the major problems, since it doesn't like to
exist in liquid form and thus takes up a lot of space.  Since Oklahoma
is a gas producing state, there is a lot of interest in CNG, but it has
the same storage problem.  Nevertheless, a lot of public vehicles are
being converted to CNG and a few filling stations are even showing up.
Hydrogen seems like it would be very clean, but if all cars ran on it,
how much would the humidity change in our cities?  Would Phoenix become
more like Houston?  Not a happy thought.