fot

[Fot] Curious Air Fuel Ratio numbers

To: "'Triumph Friends of'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Curious Air Fuel Ratio numbers
From: "Jim Gray" <toodamnfunky@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 14:01:32 -0600
Thread-index: Ac5vg0pnVcX8u5/tSCK2OBLwrt8+/g== s=q20121106; t=1371931460; bh=S8zPtmilon5I4nOPxBntIixf7UNb1ZgylQDObHsIo84=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=LxrJ+lKITXEQ7zDlXfyciltpb4KHi+WFGMPFaG0Oe2L0+98C+GLwVKSg5bZk84t/+ CQsLbvznbwKCGsfjuvH7IeEE2ZFDrtyukcAZuKREVvKecylM/xlr0V6xBaxggEr0RF /JsjeQcyXfNi2w/pYd51f/xUEKKojA3+O6BCzcRICF+GWgAqcmK8bhsTbJdKINlnB8 Mug+aa4jQSuDyGdioY2FhqzqMx8vyPPBxM23YcbaOFNefJY80kui0mbRbqvFSKkFlP pPDx5XJGioLkSF46tVqHnCdkRyxHHpSuSmreiwSmUJyJlaMoE/vaVU/xb50Xk2PnNC KC/lO74C+KnnQ==
Greetings FoT

I'm tuning a fresh motor and am getting some strange numbers on my AFR gauge
( autometer wide band )

with Mikuni HSR45 carbs.

I have a very different engine than last year so I'm starting from scratch
on my jetting this year.

I just put in a fresh 02 sensor and am seeing AFR of 9.4 at 4k RPM cruise
and WOT from 3K to 6K.

However, when I lift from 6K to zero throttle the air fuel goes to 10:1,
11:1 and 12:1.

The plugs have some color but nothing indicating a mixture that rich. I
haven't done any proper full throttle

shut downs on the plugs yet, just trying to get closer with AFR's & EGT's

Exhaust gasses haven't gone over 1200F yet. Since the car is registered for
the street I'm just trying to get

a tune that's close before I get it the dyno for the " real tune "

I haven't ruled out a faulty gauge/afr reading either. I've had new parts
let me down before.

Just wondering if anyone has seen a mixture go lean after throttle lift.
Seems kinda bass ackwards.

Thanks as always,

jim g
fot@autox.team.net