fot

[Fot] Spitfire MKIV Diff

To: Friends of Triumph <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Spitfire MKIV Diff
From: Shawn Frank <my71spit13@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 13:03:43 -0700 (PDT)
After the 1000 miles on the Spitfire to and from Road America for the Kastner
Cup, my differential started making some noises and leaking more than I would
like. It did get my wife and I back home safely with no problems other than
that. We even got cheese! A success in my book. This rebuild will be the very
last thing I need to rebuild to make this a completed restoration. Not
completely done, just completed (for now).

I have purchased all the bearings
and seals to refurbish this 42 year old diff (Spitfire MKIV), but have never
dug into a differential of any kind before. Do I need a special tool or two?
Can I get to the inner and outer carrier bearings and output shafts without
taking the gear assembly out?

I am missing a Rally Cross and an Auto Cross
event and it is killing me! I still haven't track tested my new suspension,
aside from touring laps and parade lap on the 4 miles of black magic that is
Road America (Joe Alexander). Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
I plan to look in a Kastner Prep handbook tonight and a couple other repair
manuals, but the workshop manual (Haynes or Chiltons, I can't recall) says
that someone qualified should disassemble. Who listens to that?! I hope to get
to it tomorrow...

Shawn Frank
Spitfire & GT6 Magazine
Continued Legacy