fot

Re: [Fot] Spitfire MKIV Diff

To: Shawn Frank <my71spit13@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Spitfire MKIV Diff
From: Scott Janzen <sjanzen@me.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 16:50:03 -0400
Cc: Friends of Triumph <FOT@autox.team.net>
Hi, Shawn:
 Have done this on my GT6 and yours will be similar.
If you are just replacing the output stub shaft bearings and seals, you don't
need any special tools.  On the GT6, you can disconnect the halfshafts and
pull the stub s with the diff in the car, though its certainly easier on the
bench.

Noises - I like to do things once, so I would pull the whole unit out and
figure out where the noise is coming from - it may be the pinion bearings, the
stub shaft bearings or likely the ring and pinion gears.

If your pinion seal is leaking, replacing it is a project.  I think you need
to pull the diff and totally disassemble it, though if someone has a shortcut
I'm all ears.  I've never been able to pry one out from the front with the
pinion shaft in place, so the following instructions apply to total
disassembly.
You need a factory manual for instructions and tolerances, but it is easy to
follow.
You will need a dial indicator, a micrometer (to measure shim thicknesses
accurately), a good torque wrench, and I suggest a differential housing
spreader.  The last item is because the differential carrier with bearings is
several thousandths of an inch wider than the housing (3/1000 on a TR4) to put
a pre-load on the bearings.
I asked questions about removing the differential carrier recently for the TR4
- some said I could remove the carrier without a spreader - you might want to
read those emails about two weeks ago - but I found it easy to make one out of
two pieces of 2" angle iron and some 5/8" all-thread rod and the same thing
will work for a Spit diff.

If you do have to make adjustments to the shims/re-load, etc, the spreader
makes things much easier.

Have fun - it's pretty simple in there!

Scott