fot

Re: [Fot] Shot peening

To: Marty <trmarty@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Shot peening
From: Bud R <levilevi@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 12:04:23 -0700
Cc: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
References: <BLU168-DS1931D3AF56FBD8A0B7D221BAE80@phx.gbl> s=q20121106; t=1385838265; bh=r0gybgcbZZhF9NXTgbgZnV+hfuLkHdwYgoGYyJxS9/w=; h=Received:Received:Message-Id:From:To:Content-Type:Subject: Mime-Version:Date; b=VWAUASej6kE357ozBZ/G8y3LQdH3Mo2kNxmQip4S4JkNX/v5OMkw0w7M2pzBnVbay vn1x5QHsq5ov4iyB533mwHyZP6tOWbwD21VlzmEIh5mVSY0Gj2xZPo2NvMBwfwoRo6 MoGaPpEbxEw2EmBucF4J6zzjYssrqhNfFurmRza1eNvjsUlSYiCgmEvhnIk8DUGJMe PeGAmt7AhV4f/fQNGK+HrDvvOPpRJUZwBbtqM8RrGx9cHYTrzTq9vB9JQWhzcKW1Tm v7Wai4nQD2kr6UpseLB7OTIVgeGhydg4xjlLSr+yjtOPIZLxEkKELdEulDmBBUjqPN XgCDHVCtR66lA==
Marty,

The shop (Blue Oval Performance 303-762-8298) that did the machining
on my Spitfire block told me that doing shot peening correctly
requires real expertise and that most places don't do it right because
there's an art to it and just making a bunch of indentations on the
rods doesn't cut it. I don't have the name of the company but Blue
Oval folks said there's only one place left in the country that does
it right in their opinion and when they have it done they send their
rods to them.

The rods in the later Spit 1300 engines were considered to be very
good rods suitable for racing RPMs as is (according to Kas's book) and
I was under a bit of a deadline so I didn't have it done but if you
call Blue Oval here in Denver they'll be able to tell you more.

Bud

Extreme Parts Racing (more than just a haircut)
71 Spitfire MK IV Race Car #3
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
93 Minnie Winnie Race Support Vehicle
77 Z-50A Hardly Davidson Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)