fot

[Fot] Light weight clutch

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Light weight clutch
From: Kas Kastner <kaskastner@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:20:52 -0800
In an effort to keep the crankshaft alive in the TR-6 I managed to get the
combined weight of flywheel and clutch down to `13 pounds.  That is about
half of the stock flywheel alone. This was with Porsche aluminum clutch
cover and aluminum flywheel and nitriding.  The life of the crank (actually
rev range) was greatly improved. Further testing was needed for more revs
with reliability as the competition was way ahead in the power department..

As we a were not allowed to use billet cranks or rods, and to change the
rev position of the secondary harmonic (6200 rpm) I first reduced the crank
weight as that you would think it would be more productive, WRONG. Then  I
added weight to the crank throws, a total of about 5 pounds. The balance
shop had a hard time with this.This raised the dangerous harmonic rev point
to over 8000 rpm and regretfully raised the first harmonic to about 4000
revs so the driver was forced to be very careful on a pace lap to stay out
of the 4000 range at a steady speed. It was all pretty interesting to
manage the crankshaft and allow us to race in a competitive manner.
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive