fot

Re: [Fot] TR3 race motor loosing water

Subject: Re: [Fot] TR3 race motor loosing water
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 10:18:12 -0800
Cc: "'Friends of Triumph'" <FOT@autox.team.net>
> What do the spark plugs look like after the water loss?  Any
> rust or rust
> colored deposits?  Same question for the tail pipe. Either
> one could mean a
> minor head gasket issue or a crack in the head.

There is a better tool that will show up intermittent head gasket leaks:
http://tinyurl.com/lp9bzfh

I've had several TR3 motors now that would only leak compression while under
heavy throttle.  I could drive all day with moderate
throttle and not lose any coolant, but every time I floored the throttle it
would start blowing coolant (before overheating from
lack of coolant).

The Stag was even worse.  It would likewise not leak during tests or moderate
driving, but with full throttle up a freeway ramp, it
would blow coolant all over the place.

Never saw any coolant on the plugs, or in the tailpipe, etc.  The leaks were
only one way.  That kind of makes sense, if you think
about peak cylinder pressure trying to lift the head off the block and the
similarity to a spring-loaded check valve.

Randall
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive