fot

[Fot] FW: rear main cap seals

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] FW: rear main cap seals
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 12:59:29 -0500
From: Tim Murphy [mailto:timmurph@fastbytes.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 1:00 PM
To: 'riverside@southslope.net'; 'FOT'
Subject: RE: [Fot] rear main cap seals

A key thing that has not been discussed so far is fitting the aluminum piece
to the block using the correct size mandrel so that it is accurately
centered on the crank.  Joe A. sells these that are the correct size and I
think the Moss ones are now the correct size.  The early ones (circa 2008)
were not the correct size and I had to turn my mandrel down to get the
correct fit.  (As I recall there was an error in the Triumph Workshop Manual
dimension.)  I've used Hylomar sealant on the split of the aluminum piece
with good results.  I made the trapezoidal punches out of brass and hammer
them in using about a 2 lb regular hammer.  When the felt starts oozing out
between the bearing block and engine block, I know I'm good.

I use the Permatex Indian Head Gasket Shellac with good results and do as
Tony says.  Lately I've been heating it up in the microwave a bit to make it
a bit more runny so it soaks into the felt better.

Tim
1961 TR4 #317