fot

Re: [Fot] Small Bore Racers

To: marty <trmarty@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Small Bore Racers
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 14:15:48 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Hi,

I haven't read this whole thread, so forgive me if I'm beating a dead
horse.

As a point of information, the SCCA Solo is now proposing dumping G
Prepared (where Spitefires are presently competing) and moving rear-drive
cars to D Prepared. I find the proposed rules change to be curious in that
the base intent was to fix a problem that allowed a certain dead-ringer
car to be the to be had car for E Prepared (presently the Dorsey Toyota
and formerly a couple of really awesomely prepared Mazda rotary-powered
sedans (RX-3's, I think)).

But I wanted to make two points that I didn't see covered in the thread so
far.

1. There's competitive and there's competitive. I happen to run my TR6
totally outclassed by the performance potential of other cars in the
class. I don't beyatch about it. I just run there. I pick my own targets
and base my "success" on my relative performance to MY benchmark.

2. I think Triumphs are kool. Just because I think that way, doesn't mean
that others think so. But I also find the same level of passion with folks
that run all sorts of different cars - including some that are fairly
successful. And although it's rare, I still get some really kool
compliments on my car and I find that immensely satisfying.

The overall point, though, is that if you have a car - ANY car - and you
want somewhere to play, SCCA probably has a place where you can play.
Don't get over-worked up about the politics or the rules. Just go out and
try to have fun. When it is not fun, do something about it or bail. Easy
as that.

I'm not going to lie, driving a 40 year old car at 10 / 10 th's is a
freakin hoot. And to the comments regarding reliability, if you dial back
your preparation in the name of reliability, you can have fun for a long
time with your Triumph. And it's fairly inexpensive to do so. But if you
start cranking up the performance knobs, you're going to break stuff and
there goes your reliability.

Just sayin.

Regards,
rml
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive