fot

Re: [Fot] Carb spacers & velocity stack lengths

To: "'Mike Munson'" <fasttrs@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Carb spacers & velocity stack lengths
From: "Jim Gray" <toodamnfunky@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 18:24:55 -0600
Cc: fot@autox.team.net
Thread-index: Ac/CBB0LVsYllfabRtOy76dFesp5IwAEi1Ig s=q20140121; t=1409185386; bh=x/Dvg95Tcb7grdadX61xZ3VzNdOCyPbG8aE3BajVbbM=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=SD5CmM+ADgxMpVdaj+4JXptWd0xq2Yy5rUUjJ19SozYH8KYts0ZHNShxtMWCF35Z+ u9MJkFTZdpVrtcd4gz+U2NKtBbKjKPeXTs2BlQ4oI4Kw5k6Bw4BUCsblrhfKI1c4du fJoUaVfMnASFxSpy4D6c1yJuHLCS27vW/nNAoxFxKgA7COfYa26SKkLLVyWVmMaUWz XirOM4tzsrKqYf+y/LmlKD4NQE6fZ3sbxxH1xj/cHzTvFiUnvtSEgLVvoyDdHRK2kA BDEJ1GXuU2EOVsj8zqfx+2juqCt2uHAJE4LdRRYNMVLMcnylZg3ZJtHxe2p3wBCkl7 Rzf6u6m4OOnbw==
I'm trying to get a better understanding of " tuned runner length". Some of
the newer cars have variable runner length because as you say Mike
conventional wisdom says shorter stacks are better on the top and longer
stacks better for low & mid range. My rev limit is 6500 and my shift points
are at 6K. I'm looking into carb spacers to see what affect I may have on
the plenum area of the manifold. One could say I've done a little work on my
manifold. Specifically welded the snott out of it and created the proper
taper to the runners. Stock TR4 manifolds actually have reverse taper.
David Vizard has a runner length calc that goes like this... The general
rule is that you should begin with a runner length of 17.8 cm for a 10,000
rpm peak torque location, from the intake opening to the plenum chamber. You
add 4.3 cm to the runner length for every 1000 rpm that you want the peak
torque to occur before the 10,000 rpm. So if I want my peak torque at 5K for
example my ideal runner length would be 15.47" The stock TR4 runner is only
3-13/16 to the partition.
The rest is considered plenum, I think. At the moment I'm just trying to
plan for some engine dyno time in the near future and deciding what I want
to try next.
jim