fot

Re: [Fot] Fw: Best spectator vintage event

To: davehogye <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Fw: Best spectator vintage event
From: John Hasty via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 23:58:53 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Cc: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Yes! I especially like the one of you beating Denny Wilson's hot Lotus 7!

Sent from my iPhone

Hello Dick,
Thanks for sharing this story with photos.  Wonderful!
I enjoy watching your YouTube videos of you driving the heck out of your TR4.
Obviously you still have the skills of a champion.

Dave H.

________________________________
Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2015 4:02:26 PM

Thanks, Jack. Hope to see you at Summit.

The Ferrari TRC  (2.0L Testarossa) was owned by George Siomko. He bought it for
dirt cheap off a fellow named Genetti - I think it ran Sebring in '56 or '57.
Ray Heppenstall and I went to Connecticut to pick it up for George and it sat
in the loft of my shop. George would practice the car and Ray and I would split
the racing duties. We didn't do anything to the car other than wash it and ran
it 4-6x a year. It was pretty fast for what it was, not the fastest car, but it
was an old race car by then.  When I was moving to my new shop in '65, George
wanted to sell me the car for $600, but I didn't have any money for it at the
time. He sold it to a fellow named Hap Smallback and he did hillclimbs with it.

Here is a picture of it at Marlboro:
https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/l/t31.0-8/858493_472776049437033_1033863366_o.jpg

Bob Tullius and I entered the Glen 500 in '65 in my car and we took the victory
in the class and 7th overall. I have the trophy somewhere.

The Cobra was an original '260 car (CSX2009) with worm gear steering. It was
upgraded to a 289 car by the time I got it from Gene Fisher. I did pretty well
with it and did a lot of development work on it. We found 30bhp by redesigning
the exhaust and replacing the side pipes. I had Air Flow Research (AFR) do the
heads and worked with Harvey Crane on a camshaft. It made about 350bhp. The
carburetor and intake were the real restriction. You could measure the bump
steer in inches and had to drive it sideways. I was '69 and '70 NE BP Champion,
set lap records, and finished 2nd at the ARRC in 1970 to Allen Barker's newer
'69 Corvette. At the 1969 ARRC at Daytona, I blew my main motor in practice and
we used a Holman Moody motor which was down on power. Started from the back and
finished 7th. The car was wrecked at Watkins Glen after I sold it in 1970, but
was subsequently restored to FIA spec and auctioned a few years ago.

Here is a picture of it then:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/v/t1.0-9/561553_473084832739488_1428024572_n.jpg?oh=003e71767b0482bbc0d1ecb12d7bb137&oe=55A5514F&__gda__=1438488763_aa815ffae3290645f9f89a0e53284b67

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t31.0-8/856583_472761392771832_151764043_o.jpg

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t1.0-9/534974_473084852739486_1853182748_n.jpg?oh=c8dcdc7311701ec6af48f2d633102cf1&oe=559B4F83

and now:
http://www.russoandsteele.com/index.php/media-page/media-press-releases/1241-award-winning-1963-shelby-cobra-csx-2009-offered-at-russo-and-steele-scottsdale-event

I know Janet from the IMSA Baby Grand / RS races as we both ran Toyota's.

Dick

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

fot@autox.team.net