fot

Re: [Fot] IRS diff overheating

To: Greg And Alison Blake <ablake2@austin.rr.com>, FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] IRS diff overheating
From: Kas Kastner <kaskastner@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 12:01:38 -0700

--001a11c36c96ded73205178d9425

I had failure of all three cars at Sebring with the IRS cars. In practices
the diffs overheated and puked oil out the breather tub as you describe. I
laid part of it to a new diff but most to the heat generated by a disc type
limited slip. The capacity of the diff is marginal for endurance
running. Add to the  capacity or add a cooler.

*Never be beaten by equipment.*

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Greg And Alison Blake <
ablake2@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Some of yall may have followed the social Media posts provided by our
> teammates through the weekend. We were racing the Beanitos TR6 this past
> weekend at what was to be TWS's last ever race. It was a split 16 hour
> endurance race (Sat&Sun).
>
> We had a strange failure on Saturday. About 6 hours in, the truck was full
> of gear oil. I had routed a diff vent line to the trunk. Upon returning to
> the garage, we discovered melted poly diff mounts. Pic below.
>
> I've been scratching my head on this one. Prior to boiling the diff fluid,
> we had zero leaks in the freshly serviced diff. I had replaced all seals
> and filled with STALUBE 90WT GL4.
>
> I've been racing my TR3 using this same diff fluid for 6 years (replaced
> every two weekends). Never a problem with my vintage race car. Of course,
> I've never run the 3 for 6 hours straight.
>
> Some of the more seasoned endurance racers asked what fluid I had in the
> diff. All suggested that mineral based fluid is not a good choice for
> endurance events.
>
> I'd love to hear opinions as to the route cause of our failure and more
> importantly, suggested remedies.
>
> As to the results, the car was running consistently 2:1x laps with a fast
> lap of 2:10. We ended up taking the workers choice award. Had we run w/o
> diff failure and a subsequent battery failure, we could have been in the
> hunt for a podium finish. Fastest lap in our group was 2:09.9
>
> Great weekend
>

> Thanks
> Greg

--001a11c36c96ded73205178d9425

rs. In practices the diffs overheated and puked oil out the breather tub as=
 you describe. I laid part of it to a new diff but most to the heat generat=
ed by a disc type limited slip. The capacity of the diff is marginal for en=
durance running.=C2=A0Add to the=C2=A0=C2=A0capacity or add a cooler.=C2=A0=
ison Blake <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ablake2@austin.rr.com"; t=
 class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc soli=
d;padding-left:1ex">Some of yall may have followed the social Media posts p=
rovided by our teammates through the weekend. We were racing the Beanitos T=
R6 this past weekend at what was to be TWS&#39;s last ever race. It was a s=
plit 16 hour endurance race (Sat&amp;Sun).<br>
We had a strange failure on Saturday. About 6 hours in, the truck was full =
of gear oil. I had routed a diff vent line to the trunk. Upon returning to =
the garage, we discovered melted poly diff mounts. Pic below.<br>
I&#39;ve been scratching my head on this one. Prior to boiling the diff flu=
id, we had zero leaks in the freshly serviced diff. I had replaced all seal=
s and filled with STALUBE 90WT GL4.<br>
I&#39;ve been racing my TR3 using this same diff fluid for 6 years (replace=
d every two weekends). Never a problem with my vintage race car. Of course,=
 I&#39;ve never run the 3 for 6 hours straight.<br>
Some of the more seasoned endurance racers asked what fluid I had in the di=
ff. All suggested that mineral based fluid is not a good choice for enduran=
ce events.<br>
I&#39;d love to hear opinions as to the route cause of our failure and more=
 importantly, suggested remedies.<br>
As to the results, the car was running consistently 2:1x laps with a fast l=
ap of 2:10. We ended up taking the workers choice award. Had we run w/o dif=
f failure and a subsequent battery failure, we could have been in the hunt =
for a podium finish. Fastest lap in our group was 2:09.9<br>
Great weekend<br>
Thanks<br>
Greg<br>_______________________________________________<br>
ng.com</a><br>