fot

Re: [Fot] IRS diff overheating

To: Greg And Alison Blake <ablake2@austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] IRS diff overheating
From: Duncan Charlton <duncan.charlton54@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 09:47:20 -0500
Cc: Amici Triumphi <fot@autox.team.net>
Greg,

Adding oil above the usual mark would seem likely promote lubricant aeration,
which works against the oil's ability to cushion the meshing gears. (By the
way, I have read on the bobistheoilguy website that Lucas oil aerates badly,
the downside of its ability to cling to and â??climbâ?? the gears, as seen in
your FLAPS counter display).  If you decide not to run an oil cooler you might
research Redline â??Shock proofâ?? gear oil.  I have friends running this
product in Moss gearboxes (used by Morgan and Jaguar, among others) and they
report significant reductions in operating temperature.

Duncan
(Texas)