fot

Re: [Fot] Rear diff seal

To: "Redmond, Todd" <alfetta95@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Rear diff seal
From: davehogye <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 23:27:22 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>

------=_Part_6068759_18256931.1472167642138

Hi Todd,
I too have had problems sealing up the diff cover. I can hardly believe it.
I've always had excellent results with getting motors and things sealed up with
meticulous technique.
With the diff cover, no matter how flat and clean, I've been getting a drop or
two. It's not bad with just a drop or two, but I think it should be the easiest
thing to seal.
The paper gaskets from Moss have been too dry and shrunken and do not fit, so I
have made gaskets with slightly thicker/stiffer store bought material.
Permetex Ultra Black or Gray should do the trick, but read the instructions and
as it says...
spread on a thin even layer and "finger" tighten the bolts. Let it sit, at
least over night, I think the instructions say 24 hours, then evenly torque
after.
I've had the best results so far, with three events since the last try, but
wouldn't you know, I have another drop hanging off the thing as I write this.
Still just a drop, but WTF, still not perfect.
Blasted, bleeding, bloody, dripping thing.

Anyway, for whatever it's worth, good luck the next time around.

// Dave H.