fot

[Healeys] belleville washers

Subject: [Healeys] belleville washers
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 07:56:11 -0800
Curious--to me--that, according to the Moss catalog--early steering
boxes (BN1/early BN2) and later boxes (late BN4/6-BJ8) had a mechanism
so that the peg could rotate.  The early boxes used ball bearings, and
the later boxes used roller bearings but the 'mid' box pegs were pressed
in.  The early and late box pegs were also spring-loaded; but the mid
boxes had pegs fixed in place.  Presumably, the rotate-able pegs would
last longer--as would the worm (cam)--and might have better steering
feel.   The belleville washer setup was probably cheaper, but seems like
a half-arsed solution to me.