fot

[Healeys] Ethanol

Subject: [Healeys] Ethanol
From: coudesluijs at chello.nl (Oudesluys)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 23:59:22 +0100
It is not likely you will encounter real problems as you have presumably
used E85 for years. This usually contains about 5% ethanol, sometimes
considerably more. So you have already changed most if not all rubber
parts with modern items that are ethanol resistant. If you still have
original rubber parts e.g. hoses, replace them. It is unbelievable that
some people still have original fuel hoses, brake hoses etc. fitted.
They should have been replaced a very long time ago. Very risky.
There are claims it can corrode aluminium alloy parts in the carbs and
fuel pump, but I still have to see proper physical evidence of this.
Pumps and carbs that have been exposed to ethanol containing petrol for
donkeys years are mostly still absolutely clean. If the petrol is
contaminated with water or if the carbs/pumps have been dry for years
you may see some sediment or corrosion, but this is rare.

Kees Oudesluijs